Thursday, September 04, 2008

Luxembourg : mushrooms


This is not about a cache, but the variety of mushrooms we encountered on this caching trip. I know very little about them but for some reason mushrooms interest me. Here at home I have gathered and consumed several mushrooms of different types, but only those that are confirmed "edible".

The top one wasnt particulary impressive but it looked like it had it own little cave, like a small rock chapel.
The second one from the top was a colony growing on seperate tree trunks, one was the size of a rugby ball.
Third one down topped them all... bright colors and a big colony forming one large fungus. That is a 2L bottle next to it for comparison.
And then the omnipresent orange slugs some 20cm long. What do they feed these things? Carrots? One more shade up and these would be fluorescent.

Also spotted a red squirrel and lots and lots of hyper active swallows whos acrobatics where a joy to watch.

I love Letzeberg

No comments: